The incumbent serves as Senior Science and Technology Service (SSTS) scientist and Director, US National Animal Disease Center (NADC), Ames, IA. NADC conducts basic and applied research on animal disease of economic importance to U.S. agriculture in order to develop national animal disease prevention and control programs. Four research units are included: Ruminant Diseases and Immunology, Infectious Bacterial Diseases, Food Safety and Enteric Pathogens, and Virus and Prion Research Units.Learn more about this agency
- Incumbent interfaces with the Area Director, Office of National Programs (ONP), and other management officials to plan, coordinate, and evaluate animal health research programs while managing 45 research scientists and over 200 support personnel.
- Provides research leadership to multi-disciplinary research teams, and is responsible for formulating and guiding a broad scale, multi-faceted attack on problems in frontier areas of critical importance to national, and international, animal health.
- Organizes and implements program activities; coordinates activities of research partners and interests of customers and stakeholders; acts as liaison with other governmental agencies and non-governmental organizations.
- Provides technical information and consultation, both internal and external to the Agricultural Research Service (ARS); and ensures proper interpretation and reporting of scientific research results and information.
- Manages human, fiscal, and physical resources of the NADC; maintains secure state-of-the-art facilities for the highest level of biosafety and environmental safety standards for high-level biocontainment infectious disease research.
- Serves as a member of the Board of Directors for the National Centers for Animal Health (NCAH) to provide management, guidance, and oversight in operating the joint $29M NCAH Combined Service Units.
- As a nationally and internationally recognized authority and leader in the field of veterinary medicine and animal health, has full authority to review and approve results from the NADC for dissemination and publication.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/601053900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.