WHAT IS THE WAGE AND INVESTMENTDIVISION: The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.Learn more about this agency
See Other Information for Locations
WHAT DOES A TAX EXAMINING TECHNICIAN AQMS REVIEWER DO? Tax Examining Technician, serves as a closed case reviewer in the Appeals Quality Measurement System (AQMS) function. The incumbent performs a comprehensive review of cases and case-processing procedures by Account and Processing Support (APS) staff.
As a Tax Examining Technician (AQMS Reviewer), you will:
- Perform quality reviews of Appeals cases closed through APS using Appeals Quality Standards and Attributes (AQSA).
- Interpret and apply AQSA using the Appeals Quality Measurement Standards Guideline. Evaluate APS casework by the application of closed case review standards and related specific attributes and procedures as defined by the Guideline. Determine whether case processing performed by APS is consistent with tax law, procedure and policy requirements.
- Perform quality case reviews including but not limited to: timely carding in of cases; determining whether the interest was correctly computed and if all adjustments were correctly and timely assessed/abated; reviewing the case to ensure that all applicable procedures were followed and determining whether the time span and time applied was appropriate.
- Analyze and review for quality compliance, each case to determine the scope and nature of the complex interest calculation issues and problems, which may include researching the net rate interest netting process of overlapping periods of debit and credit interest, and other special situations.
- Analyze and review the conditions and complicating factors of closed cases, including numerous computational errors, multiple tax years, and multiple adjustment issues to compute complex interest calculations, credit transfers, etc. of all case issues including tax, penalties and interest.
- Prepare, maintain and update technical/desk procedures, and review internal procedures for consistency in the application of tax law under manual computation or for issues that are not covered by existing procedures and act as a contact point for related program activities.
- Conduct research and provide guidance, feedback, reports and analyses on program operations and results. Work with team members to identify ways to improve the quality review process, including sharing best practices, institutional knowledge, and a review of established policies and procedures.
- Keep current with significant changes in the Internal Revenue Code, regulations, the IRM, court decisions, and other tax publications which relate to assigned areas of responsibilities.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at http://www.jobs.irs.gov/
Occasional travel - 1-5 nights per month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600993400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.