This position is located in the Health Information Management (HIM) Service at the Veterans Health Care System of the Ozarks (VHSO) in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The Veterans Equitable Resource Allocation (VERA) MRT (Coder) Auditor is responsible for abstracting medical record data and assigning codes using current clinical classification systems appropriate for the type of care provided. The VERA Model is used to allocate financial resources to the Veterans Integrated Service Networks (VISNs).Learn more about this agency
If you are not a current, permanent VHA employee, or of another federal agency, you should apply under announcement CBST-11111498-21-AH.
Auditors serve as experts of current coding conventions and regulations related to professional and facility coding. Incumbent performs audits of encounters to identify areas of non-compliance in coding, and provides recommendations on appropriate coding and is responsible for maintaining current knowledge of the various regulatory guidelines and requirements.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with staff to ensure that regulations are met, or areas of weakness are identified and reported to appropriate supervisor for corrective action.
- Performs prospective coding audits and utilizes results to identify processing inadequacies and re-educate coding staff where necessary.
- Coordinates retrospective reviews to ensure adequate auditing of coding activities.
- Acts independently to plan, organize, direct and control areas with emphasis on data validation, analysis and generation of reports associated with the Medical Center's health information management program.
- Determines quality control measures needed; initiates and implements them by use of monitors and/or continuous review.
- Applies comprehensive knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, disease processes, treatment modalities, diagnostic tests, medications, & procedures as well as the principles and practices of health services and the organizational structure to ensure proper code selection.
- Selects and assigns codes from the current version of several coding systems to include current versions of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT), and/or Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS).
- Adheres to accepted coding practices, guidelines and conventions when choosing the most appropriate diagnosis, operation, procedure, ancillary, or Evaluation and Management code to ensure ethical, accurate, and complete coding.
- Monitors ever-changing regulatory and policy requirements affecting coded information for the full spectrum of services provided by VHSO.
- Assists facility staff with documentation requirements to completely and accurately reflect the patient care provided.
- Provides technical support in the areas of regulations and policy, coding requirements, resident supervision, reimbursement, workload, accepted nomenclature, and proper sequencing.
- Consults directly with the professional staff for clarification of conflicting or ambiguous clinical data.
- Uses expertise to search the patient record and locate documentation justifying code assignment based on an expanded knowledge of the organization and structure of the patient health record.
- Uses a variety of windows-based applications in day to day activities and duties, such as Outlook, Excel, Word, and Access.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600915900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.