Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 11111731.Learn more about this agency
Please read this announcement in its entirety before beginning the application process to ensure you submit all the required documents. See Required Document sections in this announcement before applying.
Please read the application questionnaire before applying: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11111731.
Federal Resume, Please READ https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/faq/application/documents/resume/what-to-include/
This job opportunity announcement (JOA) will be used to fill one (1) full-time and permanent Medical Records Administrator, Assistant Chief Health Information Management (ACHIM) vacancy at the Memphis, TN Veterans Affairs Medical Center (VAMC) with Business Office Service.
This position serves as the Supervisory MRA (Assistant Chief, Health Information Management (HIM). Supervisory Medical Record Administrators at this grade level are Assistant Chiefs of HIM in VA Medical Centers that are the highest complexity level category for VHA facilities, and which are affiliated, tertiary care facility/health care system with comprehensive research programs and thus warrant an expanded senior leadership team. MRAs in this assignment provide technical advice, planning, and evaluation about health information management issues impacting the overall program on a regular and recurring basis. The MRA is the highest level professional position at the facility with responsibility for the management and direction of the health information management program and services.
The Assistant Chief, is responsible for the administrative management of health records, which includes planning, managing, advising, and directing the health information program in accordance with applicable Federal laws, facility by-laws, VHA policy, The Joint Commission standards, the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), and other regulatory and accrediting agencies. The Health Information Manager also creates and monitors systems to ensure accurate, timely, and complete health records, in accordance with VHA policy and The Joint Commission health information protocols. Measures ongoing intradepartmental performance by establishing priorities, collecting data, monitoring and reporting outcomes, using valid and reliable techniques to analyze trends and variation, and taking appropriate action based on findings. The Assistant Chief, HIMS assists the Chief, HIMS in planning, directing, policy making, organizing and controlling the activities of HIMS and serves as acting Chief, HIMS in absence of the Chief
Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Full responsibility of technical and administrative daily operation of the HIM department, which consists of all functions of health record activities related to coding, health record documentation analysis, transcription/speech recognition, release of information, file room/scanning programs, and health information exchange.
- Full assistant to the Chief of Health Information Management (CHIM).
- Provides expertise, guidance and direction and has responsibilities relative to providing supervision, administrative support, coordination, and technical assistance in the planning, development and maintenance of an effective, comprehensive, and integrated HIM Program at this Medical Center.
- Shares responsibility with the CHIM for collecting and processing data for various reports, surveys, research projects; and recommendations immediate needs and long range goals of the department; for recommending equipment and staffing needs; and for preparing and keeping current procedures and operation manuals.
- Responsible for assisting physicians and other health professionals in obtaining health record information.
- Aids in a variety of projects and is responsible for screening, abstracting and tallying data from records and computer-generated reports.
- Assists in selected miscellaneous retrospective health record review/data abstraction projects to support medical center Quality Management data collection activities.
- Reviews work accomplished and assesses quality, quantity, accuracy and timeliness of work produced by each employee.
- Develops performance standards and conducts performance evaluations.
- Keeps employees informed about important aspects of personnel management programs.
- Interviews prospective employees, recommends selection, and carries out training and development of assignments, awards or disciplinary action.
- Approves leave and establishes work schedules.
- Implements provisions of EEO programs to ensure fair and equal treatment for all employees.
- Coordinates monthly staff meetings and prepares timely/accurate minutes.
- Subject matter expert on 0675 and 0669 qualification standards and appropriately applying them.
- Provides administrative support to other HIM Supervisors/Leads.
- Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. or 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600770900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.