Current permanent VA employees and Federal employees from other agencies, should apply to Vacancy CBST-11107448-21-DL.Learn more about this agency
The Medical Record Technician (MRT) Release of Information (ROI) position is located in the Health Information Management (HIM) section at the Alexandria VA Health Care System. The MRT (ROI) reviews and processes requests for patient protected health information (PHI).
The MRT (ROI) provides direct customer service to the Veteran (or third party), by providing copies of the Veteran's PHI, when a signed, written request is received, or upon the Veteran's valid authorization to a third party. The MRT (ROI) must ensure that only the information that the Veteran specified be released, is shared only with those whom the Veteran has authorized, or who have legal authority to receive such information. To perform this task, a MRT (ROI) must possess expertise in all applicable Federal laws, rules, and regulations regarding release of health information.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Interprets, and analyzes laws and regulations related to the disclosure of health information;
- Initiates and maintains the accounting of disclosure for all records disclosed from a Privacy Act system of records;
- Communicates with internal and external stakeholders to provide technical expertise regarding the release of information process;
- Evaluates the adequacy of each completed authorization form;
- Personally greets veterans/visitors and assists them in determining the exact nature of the request and whether the information requested can be released;
- Applies public laws, rules, regulations, and exclusions governing confidentiality of the medical record, including the Privacy Act, Freedom of Information Act and 38 U.S.C. 7332 governing the release of records containing information regarding the treatment of or referral for drug and/or alcohol abuse, Sickle Cell Anemia and infection with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV);
- Receives and directs callers and visitors;
- Provides advisory and technical assistance to patients, administrative staff and professional staff regarding release of information;
- Reviews paper and computerized health records (i.e., scanned notes, reports, special tests, etc.) to identify material to be photocopied/printed/written to electronic media and released;
- Composes detailed explanations in response to correspondence received, arranging information into logical sequence and appropriate format and choosing appropriate words and expressions to convey the desired tone.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600728700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.