WHAT IS THE WAAGE & INVESTMENT DIVISION? The Wage & Investment Division (W&I) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. W&I provides high-quality taxpayer assistance, and enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns and make payments.
See Other Information for LocationsLearn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A TAX COMPLIANCE OFFICER DO? As a Tax Compliance Officer you are responsible for planning, scheduling, and conducting independent Correspondence Examinations and related investigations of individual and/or business taxpayers. During these examinations that Tax Compliance Officer determines and advises on Federal tax liability as well as conducts an analysis of the taxpayer's financial condition and related operations. These examinations may include individual non-business with wages and investment income, sole proprietors, individuals with business and other supplemental income. In this position, you will also provide tax law and tax-related accounting educational assistance to both internal and external customers.
As a Tax Compliance Officer you will:
- Plan and conduct examinations and related investigations of a variety of individual and/or business taxpayers.
- Review examinations and related investigations of a variety of individual and business taxpayers involving complex tax issues and accounting records.
- Advise taxpayers of their rights as defined in the examination and appeal guidelines, the actual examination procedures, and an explanation of current tax and reporting responsibilities and the importance and benefit of meeting future responsibilities.
- Research taxpayer accounts and determine whether penalty and interest determinations are in compliance with statutory provisions, procedural and policy requirements.
- Maintain a comprehensive knowledge and proficiency in performing complex interest calculations using a variety of computational software.
- Recognize indicators of fraudulent activity and develops appropriate referrals.
- Train and provide guidance to taxpayers, practitioners, and volunteers on technical tax law and accounting policies, practices, and principles as it relates to pertinent tax law modifications through seminars, speeches, or workshops.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600641200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.