WHAT IS THE APPEALS DIVISION? Independent by statute, staffed by highly trained professionals who provide mediation for any taxpayer contesting IRS compliance actions. Appeals is the last opportunity for the IRS and a taxpayer to resolve disputes prior to litigation, and ensures that all taxpayers can receive an impartial review of their tax case.Learn more about this agency
See Other Information for Locations.
WHAT DOES AN APPEALS OFFICER (APPEALS TECHNICAL GUIDANCE COORDINATOR) DO? An Appeals Officer (Appeals Technical Guidance Coordinator) serves as Appeals' in-house expert on ISP (Industry Specialization Programs) issues and ACI (Appeals Coordinated Issues). In this position, you provide continual advice, guidance, and assistance to Appeals Officers/Team Case Leaders and others in cases involving ISP/ ACI issues. As with all of the Appeals Officer position, you may also be assigned the full range of senior level Appeals Officer cases as determined necessary by the organization.
As a Appeals Officer (Appeals Technical Guidance Coordinator) you will:
- Organize work independently, controlling those coordinated ISP/ ACI issues contained under the assigned industry. Prepare necessary paperwork for the completion and dissemination of appeals settlement positions and guidelines.
- Determine whether coordinated ISP/ ACI issues are either legal or factual. Develop and revise Appeals settlement positions and guidelines for those coordinated ISP/ ACI issues determined to be legal in nature, specifically detailing the hazards of litigation deemed to be present.
- Review proposed settlements of ISP/ ACI coordinated issues and convey concurrence or disagreement.
- Receive and work cases or issues in designated ISP/ ACI specialty, either as a team member or key appeals office.
- Conduct Appeals conferences for the settlement/resolution and mediation of the largest and most complex tax issues under the jurisdiction of Appeals. Serve as an instructor for courses or sessions addressing industry issues.
- Keep current with significant changes in the Internal Revenue Code, Regulations, the IRM, court decisions and other tax publications. Maintain expertise on ISP/ ACI issues present in assigned industry. Maintains contact within Appeals, ISP Compliance teams, Counsel and other functions of the IRS. Apprises Appeals upper management of area or national impact.
- Participates in industry team meetings, limited to discussion of industry issues in general industry terms in accordance with Appeals Rules of Engagement.
- Serves as an instructor for courses or sessions addressing industry issues.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 Nights per Month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600565600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.