This position is in the Health Information Management (HIM) Section of the Health Administration Service at the Southern Arizona VA Health Care System (SAVAHCS) Medical Center. This assignment is the Chief Health Information Management (CHIM), which is the highest-level professional position at the facility with responsibility for the management and direction of the health information management program.Learn more about this agency
- Has full program responsibility for all facets of the Health Information Management (HIM) program and processes. Must ensure HIM program meets and/or exceed national HIM policies, procedures, and performance metrics.
- Responsible for all facets of health records management for the facility ensuring maintenance of complete, accurate, timely, clinically-pertinent, and readily-accessible patient health records, which contain sufficient recorded information to serve as a basis to plan patient care, support diagnoses, warrant treatment, measure outcomes, support education, research, and facilitate performance improvement processes and legal requirements.
- Maintains all health information input into the local VistA database and assures timely transmission of that data into all VA centralized databases - most frequently those maintained at the Austin Data Processing Center.
- Key advisor to the Chief of Staff, Executive Management, and clinicians via the Chief Health Administration Service and is responsible for providing technical guidance on health information issues such as documentation requirements, liability issues, advance directives, informed consent, release of information, transcription/speech recognition, health information exchange, etc.
- Completes internal quality assurance reviews to ensure employee performance and that work meets quality and quantity standards. Establishes monitors to ensure the timeliness of health record entries and reports findings with subsequent trending of data. Provides management officials with health record review results and trends on an ongoing basis.
- Responsible for assuring that all patients have a complete, accurate, and timely record of their health care at the facility. Must assure that such information is appropriately stored and readily available for the provision of medical services to the patients.
- Conducts training programs in various areas health information management, such as medical terminology, health record documentation, release of information, medico-legal matters, speech recognition/transcription, scanning, medical coding, clinical documentation improvement, and health information exchange.
- Responsible for directing the operations of all personnel working within the HIM program and is regularly involved in labor relations and budget management.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600272500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.