WHAT IS THE TAX EXEMPT/ GOVERNMENT ENTITIES DIVISION? Tax Exempt & Government Entities Division serves Employee Plans which examines the returns of qualified pension benefit plans compliance. Exempt Organizations ensures not-for-profit organizations meet tax-exempt status requirements. And, Government Entities ensures organizations meet their tax withholding and employment tax payment requirements.Learn more about this agency
See Other Information for Locations
WHAT DOES A TAX COMPLIANCE OFFICER DO? As a Tax Compliance Officer you are responsible for planning, coordinating, and conducting independent Correspondence Examinations and related investigations of individual and/or business taxpayers. During these examinations that Tax Compliance Officer determines and advises on Federal tax liability as well as conducts an analysis of the taxpayer's financial condition and related operations. These examinations may include individual non-business with wages and investment income, sole proprietors, individuals with business and other supplemental income, partnerships, small C corporations, and S corporations. In this position, you will also provide tax law and tax-related accounting educational assistance to both internal and external customers.
As a Tax Compliance Officer you will:
- Plan and conduct examinations and related investigations of a variety of individual and/or business taxpayers.
- Advise taxpayers of their rights as defined in the examination and appeal guidelines, the actual examination procedures, and an explanation of current tax and reporting responsibilities and the importance and benefit of meeting future responsibilities.
- Conduct package audits to determine that other required returns are filed. Conduct concurrent examinations of these and other related returns when warranted.
- Identify issues to be pursued based on large, unusual or questionable items that produce a significant tax or compliance effect and utilizes the tax law and facts needed to resolve them. Recognize indicators of fraudulent activity and develops appropriate referrals.
- Determine and consider the collectibility of potential tax deficiencies at all stages of the examination. Solicit payment and/or offers installment agreements when appropriate. Prepare work papers and reports documenting findings and conclusions
- Provide guidance and limited training to targeted audiences that may include taxpayers or IRS employees on technical tax law and accounting policies, practices, and principles as it relates to pertinent tax law modifications.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - SIX TO TEN NIGHTS PER MONTH
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600214000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.