A successful candidate in this position will serve as senior technical authority for health physics and radiation safety to assisting the Deputy Director for Field Operations in monitoring the enterprise, leading policy working groups, coordinating headquarters actions, assisting Office of Science radiological protection site programs, and providing support to the accelerator safety and nuclear safety programs.Learn more about this agency
As a General Engineer/Health Physicist , you will:
- Serve as the Office of Science Headquarters' organization recognized expert in the areas of health physics and radiation safety (i.e., 10 CFR 835) , and as the principal reviewer on the operational activities of Department of Energy programs and site offices and their contractors in these areas.
- Develop, interpret, and independently assess the implementation of occupational and environmental health physics programs by the organization.
- Provide consultation to program offices and the organization's field sites on health physics and radiation protection issues associated with dose and risk assessment, operations, sealed sources, and transportation of radioactive materials.
- Oversee the development and track the measurement of goals, objectives, and requirements for the occupational and environmental health physics programs related to the organization's laboratories.
- Represent the organization's management as an expert in health physics at inter- and intra-agency and national and international working groups, task forces, conferences, discussions, and negotiations.
- Lead representative for the Office of Science on cross-cutting teams and will be responsible for leading SC's policy development, including federal statutes, DOE policy, and local SC policy addressing site office and laboratory needs.
- Initiate new projects or provide leadership for broad and complex programs/projects that are on the cutting edge of technology and that serve as models for other engineering programs both within and outside of Department of Energy.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599977900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.