This position is located in Region 4 on the Bridger-Teton National Forest, Jackson Ranger District.Learn more about this agency
This position serves as the Director of the Forest Service Avalanche Center and is responsible for avalanche forecasting, overseeing field operations, coordinating avalanche education and maintaining collaborative partnerships.
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact Robert Comey at 307-739-5414 or email@example.com
- Directs and conducts field work and oversees the development of avalanche advisories and avalanche warnings.
- Makes interpretations of snow stability and, in conjunction with other observations from field personnel, issues daily avalanche hazard advisories and warnings to the public.
- Evaluates National Weather Service products and observations to create a daily mountain weather forecast, which is included in the avalanche advisories.
- Conducts snow stability tests and records snowpack observations in the field.
- Using professional judgment and experience, determines when avalanche conditions have abated sufficiently to recommend termination of existing avalanche warnings.
- Supervises and directs the maintenance and operation of avalanche weather stations within the forecast area.
- Collaborates with non-profit partners and other government agencies.
- Oversees and prepares program budgets for the avalanche center. Prepares short and long range plans.
- Efficiently navigates mountainous terrain in a harsh winter environment using backcountry skis and snowmobiles to safely access observation sites, maintain equipment and access conditions.
- Performs supervisory duties 20% of the time.
Occasional travel - You may be required to attend meetings, training and conferences.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599952700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.