The incumbent serves as an Assistant Director in the Center for Epidemiology and Animal Health (CEAH). The Assistant Director oversees a multi-disciplinary team that provides a variety of analyses and decision support tools to aid in the prevention and control of transboundary animal diseases. In collaboration with other units, the supervisor will help identify needs and manage efforts to characterize and evaluate animal health risks and intervention strategies to protect US animal agriculture.Learn more about this agency
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Provides oversight and guidance in the development and application of methods to characterize and evaluate animal health threats in the United States.
- Supervises the conduct of qualitative, semi-quantitative, and complex statistical and economic analyses, including development of mathematical simulation models related to introduction and spread of disease in animal agriculture.
- Provides technical expertise and review of work accomplished by epidemiologists, economists, biological scientists, and statisticians, analyzing results and making technically sound recommendations.
- Oversees analyses and makes recommendations to APHIS, VS, and international officials upon which science-based policies and standards can be developed, including U.S. animal health program guidance and emergency planning and management.
- Provides leadership to cross-unit team(s) to direct risk assessment processes, including hazard identification, entry or release assessment, exposure assessment, and consequence assessment.
- Provides oversight and guidance in the preparation of written and oral reports of findings, analyses, and conclusions of studies.
- Contributes to CEAH mission as an OIE collaborating center, collaborating with specialists at universities, governmental agencies, and specialists at international organizations.
- Conducts long range planning for the identification, aggregation, and integration of information related to international animal disease spread, economic impacts, and mitigation.
- Responsible for the supervision and productive utilization of the personnel assigned to the unit. In collaboration with CEAH Management, determines short and long term strategic direction of the unit and its products.
- Assigns and reviews the work of staff to ensure timely performance, soundness, and value. Prioritizes and monitors the progress of work
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599907500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.