This position is located within the Agricultural Research Service, Field Organization, Northeast Area, Emerging Pests and Pathogens Research in Ithaca, NY, in the Robert W. Holley Center for Agriculture and Health on the Cornell University campus.The incumbent will function as a team member on a project directed towards biology and management of invasive plant pathogens affecting potato. The overall goal of the program will be to address the immediate and long term needs of the potato industry. Learn more about this agency
- The overall goal of the incumbent?s research is to develop disease management tools and techniques to improve seed and plant health.
- Study of the genetic diversity of pathogens of potato to explore the development of improved methods to assess pathogen incidence in potatoes.
- Characterization of the fundamental mechanisms governing the interactions between potato and pathogens.
- Identification and development of potato germplasm and cultivars resistant to potato pathogens.
- Provide knowledge and contribute to the development of sustainable practices for management of emerging and persistent diseases of potatoes.
- An interdisciplinary approach will be needed to study the biology of the players involved in disease complexes involved in potato diseases.
- Research methods may include the use of cell and molecular biology, genetic, genomic, proteomic, and/or population genetic approaches to study pathogen dynamics, pathogenicity and/or plant defense responses to potato pathogens.
- Creatively apply scientific methodologies, data, and theories from relevant fields of agriculture, plant pathology, and other related disciplines with statistical analyses employed to interpret results.
- The research requires adaptation of current methods and theories, application of new procedures, and integration of background information into new and testable hypotheses.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599600300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.