The National Museum of African American History and Culture's primary purposes are to acquire, maintain and preserve objects which document social, cultural, political, military, technological and scientific developments in the United States related to the African American experience; to conduct research in the field of African American history, to publish findings for all audiences; and interpret historical developments through public exhibits and programs as well as digital content.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent is a professional Objects Conservator responsible primarily for carrying out conservation treatment on a wide variety of objects: inorganic, organic, archaeological, and ethnographic. This includes but is not limited to materials such as metals, ceramics, stone, glass, wood, plastics, leather, basketry, tools, furniture, as well as mixed media and sculptures. Provides technical advice and conservation support on exhibit and loan projects; advises and conducts environmental control, pest management, disaster preparedness, collections handling and use; and assists in maintaining lab operations for the variety of objects in the NMAAHC collection. Duties include:
- supporting operations of the Conservation Laboratory and supporting continued development of unit-wide guidelines for the handling, care and storage, presentation and exhibition of collections;
- proposing to the Supervisory Conservator budget and staff needs for the operation of the Lab and preparing estimates of object treatment and project costs;
- performing written surveys, technical examination reports, and treatment proposals with sketches, photographs, analytical reports, digital images, radiographs, etc., as needed;
- advising NMAAHC staff on effective preservation methods and requirements for handling or use of NMAAHC collections for any purpose, including exhibitions, storage, loans, public programs, etc.; and
- performing maintenance work on the NMAAHC collection to assist with collections housing and storage and providing safe travel environments for objects in transit.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
12 - Full performance level of this position is GS-12.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599566600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.