The ideal candidate for this position will be experienced leading and tasking teams, implementing and leading program-level disaster field operations, and briefing and coordinating with a variety of audiences. This position starts at a salary of $93,081 (GS-13). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the individual assistance team within FEMA.Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will perform emergency management work including managing and coordinating with other entities the recovery from intentional and/or unintentional crises, disasters, other humanitarian emergencies, hazards, or natural and man-made/technological (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, high-yield explosives) incidents. The work requires knowledge of emergency management and related directives and the fostering of relationships between Federal, State, local, tribal, territorial, nongovernmental organizations, and private sector parties. Typical assignments include:
- Serving as a senior level advisor to regional recovery staff and leadership concerning policy issues dealing with assisting individuals and/or communities by providing disaster support and delivering disaster assistance.
- Leading, directing, and maintaining effective recovery operations under conditions of extreme pressure, unusual working hours during crisis/emergency conditions.
- Facilitating robust, on-going communications with internal operations staff and corresponding operational staff of other Federal agencies.
- Directly responsible for delivering and executing numerous programs authorized under the Stafford Act, as amended.
- Supporting emergency recovery activities focused on Individual Assistance Programs to ensure the timely provision of life-sustaining services and resources to evacuees and disaster survivors.
- Applying expert-level emergency management knowledge and skill to a broad range of recovery issues, many of which are complex, controversial, and precedent setting.
- Articulating and communicating to the team the assignment, project, problem to be solved, actionable events, milestones, and/or program issues under review, and deadlines and time frames for completion.
- Ensuring that the organizations strategic plan, mission, vision and values are communicated to the team and integrated into the teams strategies, goals, objectives, work plans and work products and services.
25% or less - Travel up to 25% may be required in this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599484800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.