This position is with the Tongass National Forest, Fire and Aviation Staff located in Juneau, Alaska.Learn more about this agency
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact Matthew Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The salary of the position will be adjusted to include a 2.86% Cost of Living Allowance (COLA).
- Being a wildland firefighter requires:
- Training, both mentally and physically;
- Working as a member of a team;
- Responding to fires at all hours of day and night;
- Availability for work schedules outside of normal business hours. Out of area assignments may last for 14 or more days.
- Working in remote areas, outside of cell phone service or in situations where phone calls/text messages are not possible.
- Ability to handle a variety of physical, mental and emotional demands.
- Serves as an experienced firefighter on a Fire Engine or other related fire suppression crews performing fire suppression and/or fuels management duties under the most adverse conditions of climate, fuels, and terrain.
- Performs all aspects of wildland and prescribed fire operations (e.g., suppression, preparation, ignition, monitoring, holding, and mop up).
- Collects fire weather data, maps projects, and maintains records. Responsible for operation and maintenance of specialized equipment used to respond to wildland and prescribed fire situations.
- Performs the full range of standardized forestry support duties for fire, timber, silviculture, recreation, wilderness, or research activities.
- May perform project work such as road and trail maintenance, habitat manipulation, and miscellaneous equipment and facilities maintenance.
- Performs project work such as fuel inventory and hazard fuel reduction projects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You are expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599464400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.