This position is located in The Earl S. Tupper Tropical Sciences Library within Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI), Smithsonian Institution (SI). The STRI Library is one of the most comprehensive resources for tropical biology and conservation in the world, serving 30 resident and 13 emeritus staff scientists, 20 full-time staff researchers, and 1,400 international fellows and interns, with resources, training, and collections targeted to their particular research needs.Learn more about this agency
The Library also supports natural history research throughout The Smithsonian. As the STRI Head Librarian you will develop the vision for the library and demonstrate initiative and ambition in pursuing it. You will also promote service to the Tropical Research and Panamanian scientific community through innovative and responsive support including reference, access to information in print and digital forms, interlibrary lending, and developing special projects.
Incumbent will also perform the following duties:
- Performs the full range of personnel management duties for the STRI Library Unit.
- Serves as an expert resource in reference and information research in tropical research to work with researchers in advanced fields of knowledge using a wide variety of databases including full-text databases, specialized journal articles and/or historical materials in order to interpret and evaluate information pertinent to the research question at hand.
- Serves as an authority in the bibliographic specialization of tropical research.
- Serves as Smithsonian Libraries and Achieves (SLA) Collection Development Officer in the subject areas pertinent to the STRI library, namely tropical research and Panamanian history.
- Oversees the planning and execution of special projects undertaken by staff and volunteers in the STRI library.
- Represents the SI and the SLA at meetings as required
Occasional travel - 10%
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599352400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.