This career/career-conditional permanent career-seasonal position is located in Shenandoah National Park, in the Ranger Activities Division.
Career-Seasonal appointments are permanent positions and include the same benefits as Career appointments, but do not provide work on a year-round basis. You will work from approximately March through December, and you will be in a non-pay status for the remainder of the year.Learn more about this agency
As a uniformed employee, incumbent serves as a frontline representative of the National Park Service. This position serves as the Lead Visitor Use Assistant at Shenandoah National Park's Swift Run Entrance Station (SRES). The primary duty station is at SRES, but may be scheduled to work at other entrance stations, visitor contact stations, and/or campgrounds based on operational need. The incumbent may also be required to use their personal vehicle to commute to different duty stations within their assigned district (up to, but no more than 50 miles). Responsibilities include:
- collecting recreation fees in an appropriate, accountable, and accurate manner following established guidelines for handling government funds;
- provide resource orientation to visitors and disseminate information;
- operate an electronic cash register and perform opening and closing shift functions (ability to work alone and with others and where attention to detail and accuracy in handling funds is necessary);
- proper completion of daily shift reports, verifying accountable stock, and completion of other reporting documents;
- serves as a source of resource and technical knowledge for station employees and assures that the day-to-day logistical needs of the operation are met and maintained;
- assists the supervisor with on-the-job training of employees, provides guidance as it relates to station operations, and is responsible for troubleshooting of technical equipment;
- other duties may include visitor management related services such as traffic control, radio dispatching, performing radio/phone notification of emergency situations and handling emergencies until arrival of proper authorities; professionalism, courtesy and quality customer service is always the priority.
POSITION LOCATION: Shenandoah National Park is located in Virginia, approximately 90 miles southwest of Washington, D.C. The park consists of approximately 197,000 acres of land, including 80,000 acres designated as wilderness. It also contains 105 miles of Skyline Drive and 101 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Annual visitation is around 1.3 million, which has direct and extensive economic impact on the surrounding area (eight counties and nine municipalities). The park's natural, cultural and recreational resources are of vital interest to local and regional businesses, political leaders, conservation and outdoor recreation organizations, and the Commonwealth of Virginia.
This position will be located at Swift Run Entrance Station (SRES), located near Elkton, Virginia. SRES is one of four entrances to Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive The closest towns include Elkton, Harrisonburg, and Stanardsville.
Additional Information: For additional information regarding this announcement or how to apply, please contact the HR Office at the number or email provided under the "agency contact information" section. For specific questions pertaining to the position being advertised, please contact Mindy_Bogue@nps.gov or 540-999-3500 x3405. Email is the preferred method of inquiry as it provides the fastest response time. When inquiring by email please include the job announcement number,NE-1612-SHEN-21-11095593-ST in the subject line.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599185200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.