This announcement has been extended and will close May 14, 2021,Learn more about this agency
The Sciences and Exploration Directorate (SED) is one of eight major organizational entities comprising the NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC). The Deputy Director, SED, shares with the Director broad responsibility for the overall management of the SED. The incumbent's primary area of concern is the management of science organizations, science instrumentation flight development activities, human capital, and resources.
This position reports to the Director of the Sciences and Exploration Directorate. The Deputy Director of the Sciences and Exploration Directorate:
- Shares management responsibility for the Directorate with primary expertise in the management of science organizations, science instrumentation flight development activities, human capital, and resources.
- Reviews the Directorate's activities including the facilitating of new initiatives, and develops and executes corresponding policies, plans, goals, and procedures in concert with the Sciences and Exploration Director.
- Is an acknowledged leader in the management of Earth and Space Science research activities.
- Develops strategic plans for selected missions supporting Earth and Space Science.
- Leads the establishment and management of policies and procedures to assure effective and efficient operations for Directorate flight mission, instrument, and research projects.
- Leads Directorate planning to establish organization roles and allocate resources to achieve Directorate scientific objectives.
- Represents the Directorate on Center senior management teams for strategic planning, mission implementation, and general management of the Center.
- Represents the Agency at meetings of national and international organizations and acts as expert technical consultant for the Agency in the incumbent's area of expertise and as a spokesperson for Science for the Goddard Space Flight Center.
- Participates in Agency and Inter-Agency committees and panels involved in the planning and implementation of Agency and national research programs.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/598168100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.