This position is located within United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Filed Organization, Midwest Area, Peoria, IL, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Renewable Product Technology Research in Peoria, Illinois.Learn more about this agency
The overall mission is to develop technologies that employ a variety of chemical, microbial, biochemical, and genetic approaches for converting agricultural materials into new marketable value-added bioproducts.
- Develop novel biocatalytic systems to produce carbohydrate products (e.g., oligosaccharides and polysaccharides) that can be used for encapsulation, coatings, hydrocolloids, thickening agents, prebiotics, stabilizers and other useful applications.
- Determines what types of bioconversions will achieve the desired effects and optimizes conditions to maximize purity and yield to commercially feasible levels.
- Utilize microbial, enzymatic, and chemocatalytic reaction systems to achieve the desired composition, structure, and physical properties of microbially-produced and/or agriculturally derived carbohydrates.
- Uses state of the art chemical, biochemical, and physical methodologies to characterize properties such as composition, structure, solubility, viscosity, and digestibility in order to further develop desired end-use applications.
- Establish collaborations with government, academic, and industrial scientists to continually advance research progress.
- Develop a stakeholder base of commodity and commercial partners to advocate for enhancing the research program and to enable commercialization of new products.
- Prepare written reports and presentations based on research to be peer-reviewed and published in professional articles, publications, patents, and technical abstracts.
- Develop and write project plans, technology transfer agreements, and extramural research grant proposals that enhance goals to address research priorities.
- Provide leadership and direction to employee(s) through research meetings, discussions, and counseling.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/598138200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.