The incumbent is a Research Chemical Engineer/Chemist in the National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Renewable Product Technology (RPT) Research Unit in Peoria, Illinois. The overall mission of RPT is to develop technologies that employ a variety of chemical, microbial, biochemical, and genetic approaches for converting agricultural materials into new marketable value-added bioproducts. This research is a component of the ARS National Program 306-Product Quality and New Uses.Learn more about this agency
- Develop new biocatalytic and/or chemocatalytic processes for production of commercially viable value-added products (e.g., chemicals, polymers, and antimicrobials) from commodity crops, crop oils, coproducts, and/or agricultural residues.
- Use state of the art chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, enzymology, molecular biology, physical and analytical methodologies, and/or engineering technologies to synthesize bioproducts.
- Optimize processes to maximize yield and purity of bioproducts to commercially feasible levels by relying on available or new technologies.
- Establish collaborations with government, academic, and industrial scientists to continually advance research progress.
- Develop a stakeholder base of biorefining and commercial partners to advocate for enhancing the research program and to enable commercialization of new products.
- Prepare written reports and presentations based on research to be peer-reviewed and published in professional articles, publications, patents, and technical abstracts.
- Develop and write project plans, technology transfer agreements, and extramural research grant proposals that enhance goals to address research priorities.
- Provide leadership and direction to employee(s) through research meetings, discussions, and counseling.
Occasional travel - Local, domestic and international travel is required for field/farm work and to attend trainings, scientific meetings and conferences.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597761100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.