This accounting position is located in the Accounting Analysis/Reconciliation Branch within the Accounting Division of the Chief Financial Officer’s (CFO) office. The incumbent is responsible for the Architect of the Capitol’s (AOC) accounting and financial reporting.Learn more about this agency
Duties quoted at GS-12 level; If selected at the GS-11, candidate will have non-competitive promotion potential to the GS-13.
As an Accountant, you will analyze the accounting accuracy of all financial data that is generated from the AOC's accounting system and provide accountability of all funds as well as assets and liabilities. The individual selected for this position will perform the following duties:
Operational Accounting and Analysis
- Reviewing, analyzing, and reconciling general ledger accounts and accounting data to assess accounting data integrity.
- Performing general ledger account analyses, accounting for leases and property plant and equipment (PPE), Treasury reporting, and financial audit support.
- Analyzing supporting documents to ensure that the data included is internally consistent, and is accurately recorded in the financial system in accordance with all governing procedures for the reporting of such items. In cases of inaccurate reporting, incumbent takes the necessary action to resolve any discrepancies.
- Reviewing accounting entries to determine the accuracy of the data recorded in the financial system.
- Reviewing and assessing the accounting impact of any changes to laws, regulations and financial management guidance to ensure that accounting processes are in compliance with overarching standards and guidelines.
Accounting Transaction Processing
- Processing accounting adjustments to general ledger accounts in the financial system to ensure that accounts reflect proper balances.
- Preparing and updating accounting entries to reflect AOC business actives such as billing and collections, acquisition and disposal of property, accruals, and other relevant accounting transactions.
- Preparing and posting non-recurring adjustments as needed to correct and reflect accurate general ledger account balances, as needed.
Financial Management and External Reporting
Provide support for maintaining efficient financial management processes and reporting AOC’s financial activities to external stakeholders. Such duties include, but are not limited to:
- Performing ongoing analysis to ensure that financial data is compliant with governing procedures and those transactions are accurately classified and presented in the financial reports. In cases of inaccurate reporting, taking the necessary action to resolve any discrepancies.
- Providing support for the preparation of the agency's audited financial statements.
- Assisting with the preparation of externally required financial reports, which include, but are not limited to external reports for submission to Treasury, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), and Congress.
- Working with management to propose or implement changes that promulgate efficient, compliant and well documented policies and procedures. Identifying and communicating impact of new regulations or financial management requirements on existing policies and procedures.
Financial Audit Support
- Working with external auditors on financial audits and reviews.
- Working collaboratively with auditors and colleagues to clarify and resolve audit issues.
Performing other related duties, as assigned
13 - Position has non-competitive promotion potential to the GS-13.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597732000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.