The position supports the Health Care System Chief Financial Officer (CFO) as well as the VISN 23 Deputy CFO. The incumbent acts as a Health Care System budget analyst by assisting the HCS CFO with all aspects of budget formulation, distribution and execution management. In addition, the incumbent assists the VISN 23 Deputy CFO to develop and maintain VISN wide budget analysis impacting all eight Health Care Systems.Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
VISN wide Budget Analyst Subject Matter Expert/Advisor/Mentor (25%)
- Responsible for Strategic Planning for the VISN wide Budget Analysts.
- Forecasts and estimates program requirements and ensures program goals, objectives, and operations are realistic.
- Conducts management surveys, audits, special projects, site visits, etc. and provides expert advisory and consultative services to operating or management officials.
- Develops and prepares internal instructions, operating policies, procedures, guidelines, etc. concerning assigned programs and recommends required policy changes and procedural adjustments to ensure proper and adequate accomplishment of major budgeting program goals and objectives.
- Conducts analysis of all aspects of current or projected budget programs throughout the VISN for effectiveness in achieving planned goals and objectives and meeting the needs of the finance service line.
- Provides advisory services to all levels of VISN 23 Budget Analysts regarding the requirements and implications of the Budget Formulation, Execution and Reporting initiatives.
- Prepares budget estimates and justifications and edits budget submissions for reasonableness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and guidelines.
- Negotiates budget funding amounts, timing, and other changes with facility program managers; monitors the overall budget; and recommends reprogramming of funds as required.
- Develops and formulates data and prepares the annual operating budget.
- Provides financial guidance and direction in terms of the budgetary status to all concerned in order to ensure the HCS and individual service lines/departments are solvent each month and at the end of the fiscal year.
- Coordinates responses to the VISN's request for the program budgets. Interprets budget instructions for conforming to agency policies and regulations, and prepares budget instructions for service lines/departments.
- Responsible for HCS operational budget execution.
- Analyzes and validates target allowance distribution and other funding worksheets received from VACO and the VISN. Develops formulas or approaches for distribution of target allowance methodology.
- Estimates and monitors annual obligation data and employment by cost center and subaccount.
- Sets up monitors to continually review status of allocations and obligations and provides assistance as needed for the VISN and various program offices' review of funding allocations and obligations.
- Provides information to Chief and Assistant Chief Fiscal Officers that will help determine the validity of requests for additional funds or overtime funding for control points and services.
- Identifies associations between projected major program changes and the health care system's projected budget; forecasts shortfalls and formulates actions necessary to accommodate the changes; prepares special analyses of fund expenditures as necessary; evaluates the effect of cost and program changes on the budget execution process.
- Provides technical assistance and analysis to VISN Office as requested for recurring and one-time reporting needs.
- Prepares a variety of reports related to the status of funds, obligations, FTEE, and workload.
- Maintains records of funding, obligations, and expenditures for assigned special programs (i.e. MCCF, reimbursable expenses, specific purpose programs).
- Responsible for preparation, publication, and accuracy of biweekly, monthly, quarterly, annual, and special budgetary reports or analysis as requested by local management, program offices, the VISN, and VACO.
- Assists local and VISN staff in performing reviews, analyses, and audits of a fiscal and/or performance nature.
Work Schedule: Monday- Friday, 7:30am to 4:00pm
Telework: Telework, if approved, will be on an Ad-Hoc basis.
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Budget Analyst/PD705990
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597708700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.