Due to the Pandemic, and individual states with different phases of reopening, the selectee’s report date to the official duty station/facility may be delayed until such time as employees are allowed to report to the workplace. The person selected may telework up to the maximum extent possible, up to and including full time, until it is safe to relocate.Learn more about this agency
The IT Specialist (Systems Administration), administer, develop and support information technology (IT) systems and services. The paramount requirement is knowledge of IT principles, concepts, and methods: e.g. data storage, software applications, and networking. Information technology refers to systems and services used in the automated acquisition, storage, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission, assurance, or reception of information. Information technology includes computers, network components, peripheral equipment, software, firmware, services and related sources.
Work in the Technical Category at this pay band is characterized by such assignments as:
- Collects, records and analyzes data/information: identifies problems and performs analysis.
- Plans and carries out projects for collecting detailed data or information from primary sources. Such projects are typically a part of a large and continuing program. Plans and analyzes data. may suggest data sources and prepare interpretive reports of limited scope.
Characteristic information technology assignments in the Systems Administration specialization at this pay band include:
- Recommends additional components to improve overall systems performance.
- Plans and coordinates the installation of new products or equipment: e.g. servers.
- Works closely with customer officials to ensure seamless implementation of any software or hardware changes.
- Resolves routine installation problems.
- Identifies and mitigates security vulnerabilities and risks.
- Maintains server integrity and availability.
- Identifies server performance, availability, capacity or configuration problems and initiates corrective or preventive actions such as increasing disk or memory capacity to improve performance.
The incumbent will apply the principles, methods, and tools for virtualization of Windows, Unix, or Linux servers. Will work under the ISO 20000, ISO 9000.2001 and ITIL principles in support of the organizational quality management system. Utilizing reporting, tracking, and measurement tools and techniques to meet the ISO 20000 and ISO 9000.2001 standards and ITIL principles and methodologies. Typical assignments may include: collecting, recording and analyzing data/information, identifying problems, performing investigation and inspection activities, running Security Baseline Configuration Checklist (SBCC) on each server, and initiating compliance and enforcement actions. Accomplishes work-activities within established schedules. Follows defined policies and procedures pertaining to Configuration Management on an Enterprise level.
Demonstrates some independence in planning time and using assigned resources to accomplish assignments and small projects. Prepares technical and operational support documentation.
Contacts are primarily internal to the organization unit, with some contact with customers and external organizations. Contacts are typically intended to share information, provide data, and/or written analyses, and discuss statuses of assignments. Such as new and improved information systems.
Establish policies, procedures, provide guidance for most assignments, but allow some discretion to select the most appropriate approach. Typically receives guidance on selecting approach from manager, or more experienced technical specialist. Frequently refers difficult problems and work issues to a manager, or more experienced technical specialist when guidelines are not available or applicable. Work is reviewed periodically during assignments and at completion to ensure timeliness and technical compliance with the requirements of the project or other work activity.
Performs multiple, varying, and complex assignments under the limited direction of a manager, project program manager, team leader, or more experienced technical specialist. Act as an individual contributor and/or team member of the team.
Occasional travel - The job may require travel from time- to-time, but not on a regular basis. The travel may be for training or other work-related duties.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597618100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.