Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the best places to work in the federal government! The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Jobs Website.Learn more about this agency
Serves as an expert senior-level technical expert in data science to support the Patents business unit, the USPTO, and the international IP community in the collection and analysis of international patent data. The individual selected for this position will perform the following duties:
- Conducts statistical and mathematical data models and analyses (e.g., sampling, analysis of variance, determining confidence limits, and estimating magnitudes) using statistical and data analytics tools and programming languages (e.g., Structured Query Language (SQL), Python, R, and Alteryx) to process and curate data.
- Utilizes understanding of patent business processes and of advanced statistical techniques and algorithms such as modeling, forecasting, and predictive analysis to analyze large volumes of international patent data to gain insights, and develops guidance based on analyses to enhance the Patents business units’ international IT operations products, processes, and systems.
- Develops best practices for collecting international patent data and works with other IPOs and USPTO business units to establish standards governing the format, dissemination, and use of international patent data.
- Develops and disseminates, in conjunction with relevant stakeholders, metrics and evaluation methodologies to evaluate performance of international patent activities and initiatives, including classification, work sharing, and international patent legal activities and initiatives.
- Develops reporting mechanisms and metrics that can track key business metrics and provide actionable insights using visualization tools, such as Tableau.
- Promotes and educates customers and stakeholders on the use and value of metrics established by the patents business unit.
- Creates, maintains, and coordinates publication of statistics reports reflecting international patent activities.
- Plans and conducts analyses of structured and unstructured international patent data for use in IT systems and business processes.
- Works with specialized database and computing environments for statistical and other data analyses to evaluate Patents-related programs, initiatives and services.
- Drafts written reports to communicate findings and recommendations.
- Visually presents the results of analyses in graphs, charts, scorecards, dashboards, and presentations.
- Represents IPBS and OIPC on various teams, committees, etc., with internal and external stakeholders, with counterparts at other IPOs, and with external customers.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597453700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.