THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK), Position Description Number PDD2181P01 and is part of the MA ANG 102nd IW, National Guard. This is a Non-Bargaining Unit position. The unit point of contact and contact phone for this position is: CMSgt Michael Ulich at (508) 968-4415Learn more about this agency
1. Administers the base Local Area Network (LAN). Implements new network operating systems hardware and software and develops base wide network operating procedures. Analyzes LAN utilization statistics through data collection and performance measures to ensure the smooth, reliable, and robust operation of LANs to include classified and unclassified networks. Coordinates LAN installation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and reviews, evaluates, and fine-tunes components such as virtual servers, hubs, switches, and routers to achieve peak efficiency within the overall network connectivity. Assists in the development, configuration, installation, and maintenance of network systems to include the LAN/WAN. Receives network, communications, and related operating systems from various sources such as design centers and commercial vendors. Maintains an inventory of all network hardware and software. Installs, configures, and troubleshoots network and application server hardware, network operating system software, and peripheral network equipment such as routers, bridges, cabling system, network interface cards, modems, multiplexers, and concentrators. Develops and maintains base wide procedures for networks, system operations, backups, and product assembly and installation. Implements network operating system and/or network application software, and maintain contact with software suppliers to ensure that current releases of software products are in use. Conducts testing of network systems to ensure current network software products are compatible with system configurations and to ensure operability, efficiency, and compliance with existing standards. Monitors operation of the LAN/WAN and ensures hardware and network operating software are functioning properly and that operation standards are met. Function tests systems components to identify and resolve technical problems, analyze system malfunctions, implement necessary corrective actions, and provide ongoing support for the resolution of complex problems and operating malfunctions. Performs system backups to ensure expedient restoration of the database for the respective network equipment.
2. Conducts problem analysis to identify trends, ineffective practices or procedures, and equipment shortcomings. Identifies and documents network requirements for specific needs of customers. Determines if the facility environment can provide for network system requirements, and if infrastructure is in place to support the system. Conducts in-depth analyses of network usage, user complaints, traffic interruptions, hardware and software capabilities, and other relevant factors. Changes the components of existing equipment for efficient operation or recommends major modifications to existing systems. Recommends methods and procedures and coordinates corrective action to optimize utilization of present equipment. Uses benchmarks, performance measurement, and evaluation data, in conjunction with modeling and simulation techniques in planning for increased capacity and to support additional workloads. Identifies potential performance or capacity problems and plans for changes to avert problems.
3. Plans for current and future technology integration and works issues for compatibility and standardization based on current and projected customer needs. Analyzes LAN utilization statistics, performance measures, and system profiles to ensure network robustness in serving the business needs of the installation. Forecasts future needs and prepares recommendations, justifications, and specifications for LAN equipment. Develops test procedures and participates in progress reviews with operating officials, system programmers, computer users, and others to determine the reliability and productivity, ascertain user friendliness, applicability to the work environment, and compatibility of system hardware and software with existing networks. Ensures applicable operation and maintenance policies and standards are maintained. Reviews literature, assesses reports of state-of-the-art advances in software/hardware, and assesses applicability and impact of introducing new developments to current configurations. Ensures that inquiries and problems are expeditiously resolved. As deemed necessary for efficient operation, reconfigures various peripheral equipment to include, multi-function print/scan/fax devices, tape drive units, terminals, and PCs within the LAN.
4. Maintains required information assurance certification IAW DoD 8570.01-M, Federal Information Security Management Act of 2002, Clinger Cohen Act of 1996 in order to ensure the rigorous application of information security and assurance policies in the delivery of network services. Serves as a network security administrator for a large number of users on the installation. Ensures the optimum performance of the base firewall. Sets up and maintains account restrictions and user rights.
5. Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597378700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.