This position is located in the Northern Region, Region 1, Idaho Panhandle National Forests, St. Joe Ranger District, Avery, Idaho.Learn more about this agency
The purpose of the position is to pack supplies and equipment to backcountry locations by horse or mule.
For additional information about the duties of this position, please contact Tracy Gravelle, 509-724-7994, email@example.com; or Christine Plourde, 208-512-9642, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pack on horses or mules, equipment such as food, tents, and various tools such as crosscut saws, chainsaws, rock drills, rock bars, explosives, grip hoists, wheelbarrows, and sleds.
- Select the proper type of pack equipment for the loads to be packed.
- Arrange animals and pack loads in the proper order when putting a string of animals together. Build balanced loads using pack bags, slings, boxes, manty loads with sling ropes, pack racks, etc.
- Tie multiple hitches (e.g. box, diamond, sling, etc.) as appropriate to the load.
- Properly fit all types of riding saddles, pack saddles, and work harnesses to mules and horses.
- Evaluate and respond to medical conditions and emergency situations safely for animals and humans. Provide first aid as needed.
- Ascertain and assign correct shoeing of horses and mules for working in a mountain environment.
- Responsible for ranch and pasture management including the design, building, maintenance, and safety inspections of stock facilities.
- May spend up to 10 days camping in the wilderness utilizing Leave-No-Trace skills. Responsible for all animal care in wilderness settings.
- Pull up to 24-foot gooseneck stock trailer and bumper-pull stock trailers to safely haul stock on rugged mountain roads. Haul gear, equipment, supplies, and hay on flatbed trucks and trailers.
76% or greater - Frequent overnight travel is required, staying in backcountry cabins or camping.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597271000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.