The incumbent serves as Africa Division Director, Voice of America (VOA), U.S. Agency for Global Media. The Africa Division is a major regional subdivision of the VOA network, overseeing broadcasts in multiple languages to the 54 countries of Africa, including broadcasts in the Hausa, Tigrigna, Amharic, Afan Oromo, Somali, English, French, Portuguese, Bambara, Wolof, Lingala, Shona, Ndebele, Kurundi and Kinyarwanda languages. Incumbent reports to the VOA Director for Programming.Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
Programming - Oversees production of programming and digital output of the Africa Division and its personnel that preserves VOA credibility, maximizes audience in a cost effective manner, maintains the editorial independence of VOA, complies with the VOA Charter and Journalistic Code, provides citizens with accurate and objective news and useful information, and explains the principles of democracy and its role in building a civil society.
- Plans, organizes and directs radio, television, Internet, and other digital output, to the targeted region, including placement on local affiliates where possible, with final responsibility for overall quality and content of Division programming, including format, production values, and the use of appropriate media for distribution.
- Develops and executes content, placement, advertising and promotion strategies that extend the reach of content in the region's targeted areas - by any medium, whether delivered by broadcast, online, or mobile.
- Develops work requirements; selects contractors; manages any relevant contracts.
- Maintains internal controls to monitor and ensure proper and efficient use of funds and resources and to evaluate and improve organizational performance, including improving processes and Human Resource Management - Manages the Division staff through subordinate service chiefs and other Division managers and supervisors:
- Oversees recruitment in Division and/or recruits, selects, and on-boards staff and contractors.
- Takes steps to develop a diverse, representative workforce in accordance with USAGM standards and other measures as appropriate. Complies with Equal Employment Opportunity laws and policies, and OPM Merit System principles and practices.
- Produces and contributes Division data, information, ideas, reports to Office of Performance Review and agency senior management.
- Stays informed of the political and media environment in target country.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597096700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.