The Radiation Safety Officer reports to the Medical Center Director and is named RSO on the NRC license for the VA Boston Healthcare System. He/she is responsible for the development, implementation, and day-to-day oversight of the Comprehensive Radiation Safety Program.Learn more about this agency
This position falls under the Director's Office at the Jamaica Plain, MA campus.
The Radiation Safety Officer has the authority to enforce radiation policies and procedures, and ensures that radiation safety activities are being performed in accordance with licensee-approved procedures, regulatory requirements, and guidelines established by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and the VA National Health Physicist Program (NHPP). Ancillary duties include Laser Safety Officer, ElectroMagnetic Radiation Safety Officer, and Contracting Officers Representative (COR). Additional duties include but are not limited to:
- Maintains current Medical Center license, prepares new license applications, and submits amendments and renewal requests in a timely manner.
- Communicates extensively with all regulatory agencies (i.e. the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), State Radiation Control Program, and Occupational Safety and Health Administration).
- Responsible for a wide range of audits, reports and reviews related to the facility Radiation Safety Program and the ALARA Program.
- Enforces the As Low As Reasonably Achievable (ALARA) regulatory/licensing requirements in an effort to monitor and reduce the levels of radiation exposure, and investigates deviations from ALARA practices.
- Evaluates all areas using ionizing radiation, including diagnostic and therapeutic Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Nuclear Cardiology, Radiology, Endoscopy,Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, Vascular and Cardiac Operating Rooms, Pain Medicine Fluoroscopy Procedure Rooms, Animal Research Facility, Research Facility, Emergency Room, Operating Room, Dental Service, and Radiation Safety Laboratories, as well as non-clinical or non-research areas.
- Conducts random unannounced visits to radiation worksites throughout VABHS to determine safety trends and possible need for corrective action.
- Provides initial education and training to new employees regarding safety procedures for all personnel using radioactive materials and continuous training to existing employees.
- Establishes procedures and training for RSP spill response and skin decontamination.
- Monitors all purchases of radioactive materials, and develops and manages the financial obligations related to Radiation Safety.
- Coordinates direct activities related to radiation producing diagnostic equipment and survey equipment including annual maintenance, performance testing, and calibration.
- Supervises the Assistant Radiation Safety Officer (ARSO) and reviews work, sets performance standards, conducts performance evaluations, counsels employee, recommends performance awards, and initiates disciplinary actions when necessary,
- Serves as a technical consultant on the Radiation Safety Committee.
Work Schedule: Full-time, Mon - Fri; Tour of Duty will be set between 7:00am and 5:00pm. Occasional hours outside of the standard TOD may be required.
Position Description Title/PD#: Health Physicist (Radiation Safety Officer)/ 026790
Compressed/Flexible: Not Available.
Telework: Not Available.
Virtual: This Position is Not Virtual.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Authorized.
Physical Requirements: The performance of inspections requires recurrent long periods of standing, walking, climbing, crouching, and lifting and occasional carrying of moderate to heavy items.
- This position is covered by a special rate.
- A Supervisory Probationary Period may be required.
- This is not a bargaining unit position.
- Selectee may be required to work at any Boston Healthcare System campus, as needed.
25% or less - Occasional travel to other campuses of VABHS may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597030200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.