THIS IS A TITLE 32 DUAL STATUS POSITIONLearn more about this agency
DUTY LOCATION: Combined Surface Maintenance Shop (CSMS), Windsor Locks, CT
AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1: All currently employed full-time permanent and indefinite personnel of the Connecticut Army National Guard.
Area 2: All currently employed full-time temporary technician personnel and all current traditional members of the Connecticut Army National Guard.
Indefinite Appointment/Temporary promotion not to exceed two (2) years. The purpose of the indefinite appointment/temporary promotion is to backfill a deployed Soldier. The indefinite appointment/temporary promotion will be terminated within 30 days of return of the incumbent to the position.
JOB SUMMARY: The purpose of this position is to prepare and apply coating materials such as paints, varnishes, and rust proofing compounds on stationary and mobile equipment and on combat, tactical, and commercial vehicles.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Connecticut Army National Guard.
The major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Prepares surfaces (i.e., metal, wood and glass) by removing rust, paint, and loose particles.
- Prepares coating materials using guidelines set by the manufacturer, by tinting, toning, etching, blending, and mixing in various additives (i.e., retardants, hardeners, drying agents, and other additives) needed for the different coatings to work properly and achieve the necessary surface appearance.
- Applies coatings using acceptable methods of the trade to include special finishing techniques to achieve desired results.
- Monitors and adjusts air pressures in paint booth, controls heat settings and drying times in drying booth to achieve proper surface adhesion of coatings.
- Applies Chemical Agent Reactive Coating (CARC) materials in accordance with specifications and dimensions.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed inside and outside, where dirt, spray, and fumes are usually present. May be required to prepare and coat surfaces outside in bad weather. Required to wear protective equipment and clothing that are sometimes heavy and uncomfortable. Frequently exposed to the possibility of cuts and bruises and occasionally exposed to the possibility of broken bones.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Work is performed from ladders, scaffolds, and platforms and in cramped and hard-toreach places. Work requires standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, climbing, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions. There is frequent lifting, carrying, and setting up of materials and equipment that weigh up 10 pounds. Occasionally, materials and equipment may weigh 40 pounds and over.
Occasional travel - Subject to supervisor discretion and funding availability
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/596616300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.