The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of Oakland, CA and the surrounding areas as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.Learn more about this agency
Local Hire employees:
- Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support.
- A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster.
- Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position.
- Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in Emergency Management or Technical Writing.
In this position, you will serve as a member of the disaster recovery staff in aiding individuals or communities impacted by disasters.
Typical assignments include:
- Coordinating and managing staffing requirements needed to perform priorities and functions related to COVID-19 disaster response and recovery.
- Facilitating on-going communications with internal operations staff and corresponding operational staff of other Federal agencies.
- Providing responsive customer service to all external and internal stakeholders.
- Writing technical materials, including reports of research findings, technical reports, and specifications.
- Assisting in preparing field office emergency management plans and policies, procedures, and risk assessments to ensure essential functions are executed, and are consistent with statutory and agency requirements.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/596427900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.