About the Position: This position is located at USACE's Gavins Point Project Office near Yankton, SD. Yankton is a thriving community with excellent K-12 schools, medical care facilities, shopping centers, and convenient access to private and public universities. The area experiences four seasons and provides a wide range of recreational opportunities such as, kayaking, hunting and fishing, hiking/bicycling on an extensive trail system, camping, boating, archery, sailing, and wildlife viewing.Learn more about this agency
- Incumbent serves as the Chief of the Threatened and Endangered (T and E) Species Section and the science lead for the Integrated Science Program components of the Missouri River Recovery Program.
- Applies theoretical and practical knowledge of the principles of wildlife and fisheries ecology and management, T and E species habitat and survival requirements,
- and engineering and management techniques to maintain or enhance wildlife and natural resources at USACE project areas throughout the Missouri River Basin.
- Maintains program continuity and communications with the USACE functional elements of the Omaha and Kansas City Districts and the Northwestern Division including, Water Management, Operations,
- Natural Resources, Recreation, Office of Counsel, Planning, Engineering, Real Estate, and Regulatory.
- Serves as the technical expert and overall manager on field activities for T and E species, population and habitat monitoring, collection, propagation, stocking, and research projects.
- Provides science-based expertise to help inform USACE Missouri River Basin operations consistent with science and adaptive management plans and Endangered Species Act requirements.
- Represents the USACE in conferences, meetings, etc. and serves as a liaison with Federal, state, and local agencies and a broad array of Missouri River Basin stakeholders.
- Serves as the team lead and supervisor of the T and E Section staff and establishes and monitors staffing and budgeting requirements for the Section.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position up to 25%
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/596325400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.