This position is located within United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Field Organization, Northeast Area, Food Systems Research Unit, Burlington, VT.The incumbent serves as part of a team that conducts strategic research to identify and integrate the effects of sustainable farm management practices, and development of small-farm products on consumer acceptability of these farm products, and their effects on consumer health
Learn more about this agency
- The incumbent participates in the development of a new research program that describes the food systems unique to the Northeastern United States.
- The research program will identify and provide needed data and information to improve consumer food choices, product appeal, and public health, and to reduce the human environmental footprint.
- The incumbent will collect data from existing, well developed databases and develop new data that will be utilized in developing systems models.
- The incumbent will produce data-informed, economically-viable strategies for small farm management and marketing, leading to a systems-level and customer-focused assessment of sustainable food production systems.
- The incumbent will use existing empirical and heuristic frameworks to understand the synergism between food systems and food quality, nutritional value, human behavior, and public health.
- The research project is expected to improve (1) public health through better management of agricultural production systems, (2) new product development, and (3) the delivery of value-added, agriculturally derived products to the marketplace.
- The incumbent is expected to identify key factors affecting the relationship between foods grown in the northeastern U.S. and public health and nutrition, as well as to identify healthy new products and uses of locally grown agricultural commodities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/596078800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.