This position is being announced under FEMA's Cadre of On-call Response/Recovery Employee (CORE) Program. This is a temporary appointment in the Excepted Service, not to exceed 2 years, with the option to extend based on workload and funding availability. Veterans Preference does not apply to the CORE selection process.Learn more about this agency
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position, you will serve as the Supervisory Emergency Management Specialist (Recovery), (Municipalities Branch Chief) in the joint Recovery Office located in Guaynabo, PR. Typical assignments include but not limited to:
- Providing technical and administrative supervision to a regional staff that engage in assisting individuals and/or communities by providing disaster support and delivering disaster assistance resulting from intentional and/or unintentional crises, disasters, other humanitarian emergencies, hazards, or natural and man-made/technological (chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, high-yield explosives) incidents.
- Serving as a senior-level advisor on recovery issues.
- Interacting with the tribal, state territorial and local emergency management directors and their senior staffs; providing updates on policy procedure changes, feedback on operational issues, advising and counseling on declaration request preparation and resolving conflicts that arise to the senior level.
- Exercising supervisory responsibility for ensuring regional recovery operations are executed in accordance with headquarters, guidance and that they follow emergency management-related directives, regulations, policies, laws, standards and guidance in order to provide survivor-centric assistance.
- Directing emergency recovery operations to ensure recovery support services for disaster-impacted organizations are compliant and effective.
- Exercising technical and administrative supervisory controls that are in keeping with a first level supervisory position, including assigning and explaining technical aspects of work to subordinates and tracking their progress.
Promotion Potential: Positions filled under Stafford Act regulations generally do not have documented promotion potential; however, dependent on an employee’s ability to perform higher level duties, the continuing need for an employee to perform work associated with a higher level position, and administrative recommendation and approval, promotions may be earned by CORE employees.
Occasional travel - Occasional non-emergency travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/596023400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.