The Senior Police Officer position is located within the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), Veterans Health Administration (VHA), Police Service (PS). The mission of the Senior Police Officer is to serve and protect Veterans, patients, employees, contractors, volunteers, affiliates, visitors, and others who frequent VA facilities. Safety and security are paramount to ensuring that the VA successfully serve and honor the men and women who are America's Veterans.Learn more about this agency
Major duties of this position will include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a Police Officer carrying out responsibilities where most work is performed on Veterans Affairs Departmental properties, which includes any properties owned, leased, or licensed to VA. Provides policing services in a variety of jurisdictional environments, where each type of jurisdiction (Exclusive, Concurrent, and Proprietorial) has different enforcement rules and requires Police Officers to understand the complexities and legally apply the correct set of laws, regulations, and processes.
- Provides routine law enforcement services at all segments of VA facilities located over large geographical areas, some of which may be in different states, counties, municipalities, or townships.
- Performs certain elements of the work away from Departmental properties when consistent with Federal law, regulation, VA policy, and operational guidance.
- Protects Veterans, volunteers, and others on Departmental property, U.S. officials, other individuals, and him or herself during any given situation against threats to personal safety when force becomes necessary to enforce laws and regulations.
- Protects Veterans, employees and visitors sensitive and protected medical information from unauthorized release or unauthorized use where prohibited by law and or policy as guided by the privacy officer, FOIA, HIPPA, etc.
- Carries a firearm and other weapons, intervenes when necessary to de-escalate situations, and determines when and how much force must be applied.
- Advises individuals of their (Miranda, Weingarten, Garrity, etc.) rights, and protects the constitutional and civil rights of persons.
Work Schedule: Panama Schedule
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Senior Police Officer/PD99926-S
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/595853000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.