The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
See Other Information for LocationsLearn more about this agency
WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF-EMPLOYED DIVISION: The Small Business/Self-Employed (SB/SE) Division provides examinations and taxpayer education services for about 7 million small businesses and upwards of 33 million self-employed and supplemental income taxpayers.
WHAT DOES A TAX SPECIALIST DO? IRS Tax Specialists interact with customers of various IRS Divisions to resolve both general and technical issues. They conduct investigations of individual and business taxpayers to determine Federal tax liability. They also provide tax law and tax-related accounting assistance for internal and external customers.
As a Tax Specialist you will:
- Plan and conduct examinations and related investigations of a variety of individual and/or business taxpayers.
- Review examinations and related investigations of a variety of individual and business taxpayers involving complex tax issues and accounting records.
- Advise taxpayers of their rights as defined in the examination and appeal guidelines, the actual examination procedures, and an explanation of current tax and reporting responsibilities and the importance and benefit of meeting future responsibilities.
- Research taxpayer accounts and determine whether penalty and interest determinations are in compliance with statutory provisions, procedural and policy requirements.
- Train and provide guidance to taxpayers, practitioners, and volunteers on technical tax law and accounting policies, practices, and principles as it relates to pertinent tax law modifications through seminars, speeches, or workshops.
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - 1 to 5 Travel Nights per Month
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/593718900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.