THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION THAT REQUIRES MILITARY MEMBERSHIP.Learn more about this agency
This National Guard position is for a MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATOR, Position Description Number PDD1907000 and is part of the Mississippi National Guard.
As a MOTOR VEHICLE OPERATOR, WG-5703-8, you will transport supplies and equipment intra and inter State using a variety of wheeled vehicles to haul cargo and fuel, transport passengers or to tow or recover equipment. Vehicles are driven in restricted traffic environments on Government installations, and over public roads and highways, or under cross-country conditions.
(1) Operates primarily straight-in-line trucks and/or truck tractors with semi-trailers which typically have an approximate gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 32,000 pounds. Required to operate special purpose or auxiliary devices where a knowledge of such devices does not exceed the level of knowledge and skill required to operate the vehicle safely in complicated traffic situations. Couples and uncouples the truck tractor and semi-trailer, or truck and trailer, and connects and disconnects the air brakes and electrical lines. Maneuvers vehicles within close tolerances when driving and backing over uneven ground, in narrow or congested areas, between buildings and other vehicles, between parked aircraft and when positioning vehicles at loading docks. When driving tractor-trailer refueling trucks, they operate the vehicle's auxiliary pumping system and verify correct grade or mixture of fuel is pumped, that the receiving equipment is grounded and fuel tanks are not overfilled. Also record type and quantity of fuel delivered. Check to ensure all cargo is secured to prevent shifting or falling in transit and to minimize the possibility of vehicle sway. Select the safest, most direct and legally allowed route to be followed and identify alternative routes to be used in the event of an emergency. Driver operates vehicles on interstate highways, winding roads, and steep grades and manipulates the dual braking system to prevent the semi-trailer or trailer from jackknifing. Assures cargo is properly loaded, distributed and secured. Performs operator maintenance on vehicles and trailers.
(2) Ensures shipping and accounting documents are with the shipment and reflect actual condition, quantities and type of material, including manual turn in and issue documents. Completes log books, maintenance records, reports and other transportation documents for accurate accounting. May identify, inspect, and segregate equipment or material as it is received for obvious damage and needed repairs.
(3) Prepares and submits requests for over-dimensional permits to Defense Movement Coordinator (DMC) for military movement involving military vehicles and through the Commercial Transportation Branch for non-military vehicles. Coordinates with units, maintenance activities, Central Issue Facility (CIF), Defense Reutilization Management Office (DRMO), Property Book Office (PBO), and Single Stock Fund Activities for pick up and delivery. When appropriate, ensures transported items meet demilitarization standards (for example drainage statements, tanks are purged and weapons), and appropriate certification/verification accompanies the items.
(4) Performs warehouse work, as required, to include issuing, receiving and inventorying equipment, supplies and materials; loading and unloading of trucks; storing and pulling warehouse stock; packing and unpacking material; and repairing or replacing items on equipment. Operates electric, gasoline or diesel-powered forklift trucks.
(5) Performs a variety of servicing and operator preventive maintenance work on assigned vehicles.
(6) Accomplishes the full spectrum of support for state and Federal National Guard operations, training, readiness missions, natural disasters, and Homeland Defense/Defense Support of Civil Authorities (HLD/DSCA).
(7) Performs other duties as assigned.
Details of the duties and responsibilities are contained in the applicable position description located online, on the FASCLASS website. https://acpol2.army.mil/fasclass/search_fs/search_fasclass.asp
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/593699700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.