The position is located in the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, at the Rocky Mountain Regional VAMC in the Police Service. The primary purpose of the position is to perform the essential functions of the job which include but are not limited to the suppression of crime and criminal activity, the protection of life and property, the apprehension and arrest of violators of criminal laws, the recovery of stolen property and the regulation of non-criminal conduct.Learn more about this agency
Principle duties are as described:
- Leads a team of Police Officers and other administrative staff.
- Directs day-to-day lead and non-lead policing assignments.
- Provides staff guidance on how to preserve what is needed for crime scenes.
- Leads and initiates investigative contacts/stops.
- Assigns, distributes, reviews, approves and disapproves employees' assignments.
- Monitors and reviews the status/progress of the work and makes workload adjustments to ensure the workload is balanced.
- Provides information/feedback to the supervisor concerning promotions, reassignment, recognition of outstanding performance, and personnel needs.
- Resolves simple, informal complaints of employees and refers more complex complaints to the supervisor.
- Receives, reviews and revises reports from staff, before forwarding to the supervisor for final review.
- Determines whether situations are criminal or civil and takes appropriate legal steps for each crime committed.
- Interviews witnesses and other persons involved, determines whether facts warrant an arrest or lesser action.
- Keeps abreast of policing best practices, the latest policing technology, and the latest criminal and policing laws, rules, and regulations to provide advice and guidance as needed.
- Provide assistance to citizens in emergencies, including the protection of civil rights.
- Conducts investigations, apprehensions/detention of individuals suspected or convicted of offenses against the criminal laws of the United States.
- Advises individuals of their (Miranda, Weingarten, Garrity, etc.) rights, and protects the constitutional and civil rights of persons.
- Conducts investigations with a nexus to on organization, prisoner transport, patient search and recovery.
- Responds to calls for police assistance, irregularities, and unusual or suspicious circumstances.
- Detains witnesses and apprehends suspects, makes arrests and performs booking procedures.
- Executes arrest warrants issued by federal and local courts.
- Seeks, detects, seizes, and protects evidence and witnesses at the scene of an incident.
- Intervenes when necessary to deescalate situations and determines when and how much force must be applied.
- Provides emergency response coordination as needed.
- Makes independent decisions and takes/coordinate immediate steps to preserve life and property.
- Intervenes to deescalate active suicidal behavior and/or prevents suicides, when needed.
- Provides and/or coordinates staff training during shift briefing or designated training days.
- Ensures instruction on work sequence, procedures, methods, and deadlines are met.
- Coaches and mentors current and new police officers to ensure employees obtain the necessary training.
- Provides on-the-job training in accordance with established procedures and practices.
- Leads, initiates and guides staff regarding how to proceed with investigative stops on suspicious and potentially dangerous persons and suspicious vehicles independently.
Work Schedule: Monday - Thursday or Thursday - Sunday, 10 Hour Fixed Shift
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Lead Police Officer/PD99900A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/593669700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.