You will serve as the Undersea Weapons Vehicles and Defensive Systems Department (Code 85) Chief Scientist (DCS) of NAVUNSEAWARCENDIV NEWPORT RI.Learn more about this agency
This position is part of the Warfare Centers Personnel Demonstration Project. The (ND-05) pay band encompasses positions equivalent to the (GS-14) and (GS-15).
- You will assist the Department Head in all matters related to Science and Technology (S and T) and research.
- You will be the recognized subject matter expert with extensive background and experience in physical sciences, mathematics or engineering in order to perform research and experimentation.
- You will provide technical and scientific oversight over the department's S and T portfolio.
- You will perform technical/scientific evaluations of research activities, conduct or support execution of capability and technology gap assessments, and evaluate research and S and T processes, investments, facilities and manpower resources.
- You will be responsible for the department's invention disclosure process, and foster an environment of innovation and continuous experimentation across the organization.
- You will work with scientist/engineers, technical programs managers and line managers to effect change in the department's S and T portfolio and processes.
- You will interface externally with the technical scientific community at NUWC Division Newport as a member of the Science and Technology Integrated Community (STIC).
- You will be the main Point of Contact (POC) for department engagements with the Chief Technology Office (CTO).
- You will represent the department as the S and T expert to external research organizations and stakeholders, conducting briefings to senior organization leadership up to Flag/SES level.
- You may act as a Principal Investigator (PI) or Project Manager (PM) for multi-organizational research projects with collaboration within the command and across warfare centers, academia, industry, and other research institute.
- You will interface with the department's Director of Transition (DoT) to develop research and technology development roadmaps to transition capability into the department's product lines.
- You will mentor less experienced engineers/scientists and foster workforce development through technical exchange meetings, seminars and research development activities.
- You will train and motive department employees in documenting their inventions and submit for patent application.
- You will submit journal articles, patent applications, and/or conference abstracts in your area of expertise and mentor/coach engineers and scientists.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/592660100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.