This position is located in the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), Joint Administrative Operations (JAO), Human Resources Division. The Personnel Security Specialist, responsible for performing a variety of duties associated with initiating, reviewing and adjudicating personnel background investigations, determining the appropriate position designation, level of clearance required based on the duties and responsibilities assigned to a position, and monitoring the Drug Free Workplace Program.Learn more about this agency
The Personnel Security Specialist salary will be based upon duty station and locality pay once selected. Locality tables may be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/2021/general-schedule/
Positions located in the Anchorage, AK may be eligible for cost of living allowance (COLA) in addition to base salary. COLA rates may be found at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-systems/nonforeign-areas/#url=COLA-Rates
A total of one (1) vacancy will be filled in either of the locations listed. Additional questions regarding placement should be reserved for the interview process.
As a Personnel Security Specialist your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Consolidates information and in accordance with regulations, recommends security determinations or actions to take with Service Personnel Security Manager (PSM) before adjudicating.
- For national security designated positions (Non-sensitive Critical or Critical Sensitive), works closely with the PSM on background investigations in adjudicating reports of OPM investigations and assigning appropriate security clearances; granting national security clearances as required for Service law enforcement and IT (cybersecurity) employees.
- Reviews and electronically transmits background investigation information through the Office of Personnel Management, Federal Investigative Services (OPM-FIS) electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing (eQIP) system.
- Works with supervisors/managers and Human Resources Specialists (Classification) in determining appropriate position sensitivity designations based on the duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Ensures that background investigations are performed and saved in accordance with the Office of Personnel Management and Departmental criteria as well as all pertinent national security regulations.
- Provides guidance to supervisors/managers and other Regional HROs on the policies and procedures of the Service and Department Drug Free Workplace and drug testing and associated policies and programs.
- Coordinates with HR Specialists (Classification) on all testing designated positions (TDP) located within Headquarters Program Offices to ensure they meet the appropriate testing categories, are properly documented, and entered into the automated personnel system.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/592587000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.