The incumbent serves as Research Leader in the National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research, Bio-Oils Research Unit. The incumbent leads a broad research program to develop new commodity plant oils and bio-based products that provide technically and economically competitive alternatives to petroleum-derived materials.Learn more about this agency
- Incumbent leads, directs, and conducts research whose objectives include:
- Resolving chemical processes advancing high-value polymers from agriculturally based oils and other feedstocks;
- Enabling commercially relevant biobased materials and fuels;
- Developing an analysis of new crop germplasm and agronomic traits of oilseed crops such as camelina and industrial hemp;
- Enabling processes for the commercial production of oils, meal, gums, waxes, and value-added products from advancing oilseed crops such as meadowfoam, new pennycress varieties, camelina, lesquerella, osage orange, and industrial hemp;
- Enabling commercial processes by converting oils and gums from oilseed crops into marketable new value-added bio-based products;
- Resolving processing technologies to convert low-quality and nonfood feedstocks into value-added biobased products; and
- Enabling commercial processing of new versatile biobased products useful in multiple markets.
- Supervisory duties include:
- Providing vision; establishing and maintaining an advisory stakeholder base representing the various research projects to advocate for enhancing the unit and to enable commercialization of products;
- Exercising leadership and supervising personnel assigned to the unit;
- Maximizing the creativity and productivity of the unit;
- Hiring personnel and managing the human, fiscal, and physical resources assigned to the unit;
- Serving as the Unit fundholder;
- Providing technical information and consultation both internal and external to Agricultural Research Service; and
- Ensuring the proper interpretation and reporting of scientific research results.
Occasional travel - Local, national, and international travel is required to attend workshops, scientific conferences, and training.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/592437700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.