This position is located in General Accounting and Reporting (GAR), Office of Finance and Accounting (OF&A), Smithsonian Institution. The employee serves as a Senior Accountant responsible for various duties including, but not limited to, providing expert advice on accounting matters; preparing comprehensive accounting data, records, and reports; and developing, operating, and inspecting automated accounting systems.Learn more about this agency
- Prepares, analyzes, interprets, and presents accounting data and resolves complex and controversial accounting problems.
- Analyzes a variety of unique financial transactions and statements for propriety and/or budgetary accounts and determines potential impact on funding sources or the financial position of the Smithsonian or a specific unit.
- Prepares financial statements or portions of statements monthly ensuring they cross-tie with the footnotes and conducts period-to-period comparisons identifying differences and anomalies. Prepares assigned footnotes for annual reporting, federal and trust, which tie to the financial statements. Conducts monthly and year-end closing process.
- Serves as expert authority in the application of accounting standards to specialized mission-related programs and recommends solutions to management problems. Advises management on complex financial and managerial accounting methods and procedures for grants, endowments, capital expenditures, obligations, and budgetary and proprietary.
- Designs and develops ad-hoc single use or first-time financial reports.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/591958800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.