The applicant serves as Chaplain Clinical Pastoral Educator (CPE) performing senior-level clinical assignments for the VHA. Provides comprehensive religious, spiritual, and pastoral care to all persons that are commensurate with the needs, desires, and voluntary consent of the Veteran, caregiver, or staff. Addresses the spiritual component of health and wellness in every patient care setting to ensure that pastoral care is fully integrated into all aspects of chaplain services.Learn more about this agency
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as a certified Chaplain (CPE) providing comprehensive, religious ministry services and training to Veteran patients and students according to their specific needs.
- Carries out an education ministry with the CPE Center, which is highly integrated into VHA's Chaplain program.
- Provides thorough guidance and advice to Chaplain Service management staff, students, other Chaplains, and stakeholders.
- Manages the daily operations of the CPE Center and develops and implements program policies and procedures.
- Serves as a certified educator of record for all CPE students for an assigned designated area.
- Provides administrative oversight and programmatic resources and monitors educational outcomes.
- Offers students an opportunity to develop and expand professional caring skills in a clinical setting to address a person's spiritual, emotional, and physical needs; and offers students experience with hands-on spiritual care for hospitalized patients.
- Maintains records for all educator evaluations, student records, center portfolio, and CPE accreditation requirements, which may include off-site CPE satellite and placement contracts. Seeks approval for allied health trainee positions through the Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA).
- Conducts recruitment and interviews and selects students for the CPE program.
- Ensures all documentation is completed for compliance.
- Develops educational curricula that are measurable, outcome-oriented, and evidence-based and designed to meet board certification competencies.
- Develops relationships with key staff related to the CPE program, e.g., clinical preceptors, Advisory Group members, and OAA staff.
- Provides extended and intensive pastoral counseling as an integral part of the treatment program with patients facing complex, ethical, moral, and/or spiritual issues.
- Monitors the CPE Center's program effectiveness and modification of service pattern, which includes research and leadership of clinical teams.
- Develops and implements methods to measure the effectiveness of the Chaplain educational program.
- Uses outcome evaluations to improve educational services and to design education system changes.
- Seeks best practices, primary research, and research literature that informs the ministry specialty and one's spiritual care practice.
- Provides leadership, direction, orientation, coaching, in-service training, staff development, and continuing education programs.
- Serves as a primary senior Chaplain education resource, spiritual advisor, and liaison for the spiritual needs of Veterans patients, students, caregivers, and staff.
- Conducts comprehensive religious services and worship, pastoral ministry, and administration of Chaplain services.
- Addresses the religious, spiritual, moral, and ethical problems of patients and staff through educational means.
- Completes various complex educational projects, task groups, and assignments to obtain pertinent high-level information needed for Chaplain Service senior management officials.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; with shared on call rotation and rotating weekends and holidays; Tour of duty subject to change based on agency needs.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
Occasional travel - Occassional travel required 10% of the time to include travel to seminaries/affiliated universities to recruit students, etc.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/591744500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.