This is the position of Physicist in the Atomic and Molecular Physics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory. The purpose of this position is to train postdoctoral researchers to conceive, plan and conduct highly specialized research in astrophysics. The incumbent will be expected to perform scholarly research and participate in making contributions to the physical fields of science.Learn more about this agency
The Post-Doctoral Research Fellow will perform research on collisional and spectroscopic phenomena for astrophysical applications. The Post-Doctoral Research Fellow will be part of a research group working on fundamental theoretical and computational scientific research using primarily quantum-mechanical methods.
Duties of the position may include but are not limited to:
- Define scientific and computational requirements to develop and evaluate advanced theoretical and numerical algorithms. This will involve analytical calculations and implementing algorithms for computation and analysis of collisional and spectroscopic phenomena. Obtain necessary data to verify requirements and test software.
- Participate in the definition and design of methodologies to obtain required results.
- Assist other scientists in developing and applying programs for in use collisional and spectroscopic studies.
- Perform scientific studies involving collisions and spectroscopy.
- Prepare refereed publications and present talks at professional meetings.
- Perform other duties as may be required.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/591544400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.