This position is located with the Office of Enterprise Assessments, Office Environment, Safety & Health Assessments, Office of Nuclear Safety & Environmental Assessments (EA-31). EA-31 implements the nuclear safety aspects of DOE Order 227.1A through independent evaluations of DOE nuclear facilities and operations that provide constructive feedback and objective information on programs and performance in protecting our workers, the public and environment from radiological hazards.Learn more about this agency
As a Nuclear Engineer, you will:
- Lead and participate in teams of DOE and contractor technical experts and contribute to the conduct of assessments, special technical analyses, and studies at DOE's high-hazard nuclear facilities.
- Serve as a professional advisor to Headquarters and field management officials on issues related to nuclear facility design, accident analysis, construction quality, operations, maintenance, testing and commissioning, including the identification and evaluation of operations and/or conditions which represent a safety risk; and the formulation and recommendation of measures to eliminate or control such risks and hazards.
- Evaluate measures taken to ensure that engineered safety systems, maintenance and testing programs, safety basis documents, engineering and quality assurance programs, and operations procedures are properly designed and implemented.
- Advise senior EA and DOE officials on safety issues pertaining to high-hazard nuclear operations and facilities.
- Develop and manage the incorporation of appropriate nuclear safety information pertaining to engineered safety systems, maintenance and testing programs, safety basis documents, engineering and quality assurance programs, and operations data collection into EA independent oversight activities.
- Coordinate the requirements for nuclear safety into the comprehensive agency-wide EA independent oversight program.
50% or less - Approximately 30% overnight travel is required to attend meetings, conferences, training and site visits.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/591132400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.