Serve as the Radiation Technical Discipline Engineer for NASA Johnson Space Center (JSC), Houston, Texas. Applies theoretical and experimental heliophysics principles to develop, assess, and verify solar energetic proton event prediction models utilized in astronaut alert and warning systems. The partnering of in-situ field and dose measurement devices with space weather modeling, and the implementation of operational procedures and concepts are used to minimize astronaut health effects.Learn more about this agency
- Function as part of a larger team to define and mitigate the risks associated with human exposure to the space radiation environment.
- Provide technical guidance in both fundamental research and operational development of space weather models/tools for space radiation environment characterization and forecasting.
- Serve as lead of the Integrated Solar Energetic Proton Event Alert/Warning System. Develop models for use in mission planning and timeline development and for assimilation into enhanced operational forecast tools, procedures, and processes.
- Serve as a liaison to NASA's Community Coordinated Modeling Center at Goddard Space Flight Center.
- Participate as a presenter in national and international seminars and symposia relating to fields of expertise in scientific technology or research.
- Provide guidance to flight control team support for the International Space Station/Orion/Gateway via the Space Radiation Analysis Group. Develop, maintain, and implement processes for training and certification of console support personnel.
- Represent the Space Radiation Analysis Group, Johnson Space Center, and Human Health and Performance Directorate at Program boards and panels to sponsor, defend, and present radiation requirements as well as related change requests and issues.
- Serves as an advisor to senior scientists, engineers, management, related organizations, or contractor personnel, giving authoritative technical advice and evaluation on the space radiation discipline.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/590834600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.