This position is located at the Harpers Ferry Job Corp Center located in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia.Learn more about this agency
The Cook prepares a variety of hot and cold menu items for Center students, staff and special event groups that vary in size. The Cook is also responsible for handling, storing food in a clean and sanitary environment and for the control of stock of food and supplies.
For information about the duties of this position, please contact Shawn Miller at (304) 724-3421, email@example.com.
- Adjusts standardized recipes for the number of servings required in large quantity cooking.
- Maintains the proper temperature for all foods during holding, transport, reheating, and serving to assure quality control of food safety.
- Performs yield testing for selected food items to determine the serving weight or volume after preparation and gather other test data to assist decision-making for purchasing and menu pricing.
- Operates specialized equipment to cook food in large quantities and to rapidly chill and store prepared items. Reviews and ensures that stock levels support daily and monthly menus.
- Maintains rotation of food inventories to prevent spoilage.
- Provides assistance in ordering food according to daily and weekly menu requirements.
- Keeps appropriate records and receipts for items ordered and received.
- Cook will frequently prepare entire meals which requires the cooking of several items with different cooking times and characteristics.
- May instruct varying numbers of Work Based Learning (WBL) Culinary Arts students during assigned shift, as well as students assigned for kitchen police (KP) duties.
- Cook is responsible for monitoring food preparation skills and providing oral instruction to WBL students.
- Responsible for communicating achieved tasks by email, oral communication, informal evaluations and incident reports.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/590152500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.