The Surgical Technician will be assigned to the ASC or FLOAT, PCS/Surgery Service, at the Richard L. Roudebush Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana. The Surgical Technician participates with the surgical team in planning and implementing complex surgical procedures/processes.Learn more about this agency
Duties include but may not be limited to the following:
Receives/Interprets Request for Procedures:
- Receives requests or instructions for procedures.
- Interprets requests or instructions for medical or health care personnel.
- Performs scrub technician in charge of office.
- Receives assignments for a variety of difficult surgeries.
- Handles instruments, supplies, and equipment during all surgical procedures such as open heart, thoracic major vascular, neurosurgery, microsurgery, and total joint replacement surgery.
- Secures patients' confidence and cooperation during procedures.
- Explains procedures, positions patients for desired results, and cushions and shields patients as appropriate.
- Administers drugs under close control
- Answers patient's questions during procedures.
- Sets up the sterile field with all required items for each procedure such as air powered equipment, fiber optic equipment, laparoscopic equipment, microscopes, lasers, arthroscopy equipment, urologic equipment, recording devices, and other operating room supplies and equipment.
- Performs administrative tasks such as maintaining control records for specimens and tests and documenting measurements taken.
- Manages medical support functions for clinic or practice.
- Collects and organizes statistical data for regular and one-time reports.
- Performs patient care Procedures such a collection of specimens.
- Applies dressings, adjusting simple supportive equipment.
- Performs difficult measurements or tests on patients.
- Takes tissue cultures or specimen samples which require difficult specialized procedures.
Work Schedule: Compressed/Flexible schedule.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
DESIGNATED DRUG-TESTING POSITION: Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA. Applicants will not be appointed to the position if a verified positive drug test result is received.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589845100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.