This position is located in the Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Southeastern Region, Veterans Integrated Service Network (VISN 16), Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System, Nursing Service- Acute Care-5D Inpatient Mental Health - NOLA Specialty Care, New Orleans, Louisiana.Learn more about this agency
The Licensed Practical Nurse performs complex age specific nursing care for adult and geriatric outpatient and inpatients with a variety of physical, mental, behavioral or psychological needs, and is limited to situations demanding an exceptional degree of practical nursing knowledge and skills, according to assignment and training.
- Patient Care Activities, as appropriate to assignment.
- Implements established care plan. Reports and documents progress or changes in patient's behavior and/or physical condition to the RN and in the medical record.
- Performs check of emergency equipment.
- Recognizes and initiates emergency measures consistent with training.
- Provides care for pre-operative and post-operative patients, including those having special procedures and treatments. Assures the presence of a signed informed consent. Assists in evaluating psychological and educational needs. Reports changes in patient's behavior and or physical condition to the registered nurse and/or physician.
- Uses identified learning needs to provide patient teaching and documents teaching in the medical record. Age specific considerations, e.g. the geriatric population's proneness to visual or hearing impairment, will be addressed. Teaching may include pre-and post op care, diabetic self-care, activities of daily living, coughing, deep breathing, suctioning and tracheostomy care, self-administration of medication and additional procedures as directed by the registered nurse.
- Performs such diagnostic procedures as cardiac monitoring (in specialty area), TPR, B/P, Pulse Oximetry, ll&O, heights, weights, finger sticks, phlebotomies, and EKGs. Recognizes deviations from normal. Documents and reports results to the registered nurse and/or physician.
- Transcribes Doctor's Orders as per Nursing Service procedure.
- Performs narcotic count as per policy/procedure.
- Administers oral, subcutaneous, intramuscular medications. Observes, reports, and documents patient's response to medication including adverse reactions.
- Monitors intravenous therapy for prescribed rate, patency, infiltration and/or extravasation. Discontinues intravenous infusion when indicated. Documents and reports findings. Administers intravenous antibiotics and IV hydration.
- Makes frequent rounds on patients, noting environment, changes in patient's behavior and/or physical condition. Reports and documents all observed problems and indicates which might have an adverse effect on patients, visitors or personnel.
- Checks patient's personal belongings on admission and discharge, and for contraband when indicated and where applicable.
- Observes, documents and reports unpredictable behavior that may lead to violence, potential for injury related to wandering or fall risk. Uses diversional activities to promote restraint free environment. Under the direction of the registered nurse, uses least restrictive protective supportive device when restraint is required.
- Assists in monitoring patients who require 1:1 observation, e.g. homicide/suicide precautions, patients with potential for injuring self or others. Documents and reports behavior patterns and changes.
- Performs support duties for therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
- Provides for a safe, clean and therapeutic environment including work area. Follows all safety policies and procedures including using good body mechanics and wearing personal protective equipment as needed.
- Uses computer to meet current CPRS mandates, email, leave request and other computer initiatives.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Participation in Collaborative Treatment and Discharge Planning with Team Members.
- Reinforces patient's performance of exercises and other concepts learned in the Rehabilitative Medicine Service program. Procedures and exercises.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589778700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.