Employee will serve as a Supervisory Health Science Specialist in the Research and Development (R&D) Service located at the Veterans Healthcare Administration, Wilmington, DE.Learn more about this agency
ResponsibilitiesDuties will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Exercises complete responsibility and authority to plan, schedule, and carry out major local, regional and National initiatives and projects concerned with the analysis and evaluation of medical product safety and effectiveness.
- Works to expand the research program through recruitment of scientists with expertise in research relevant to the patient population; and oversees the day-to-day operations of the research program.
- Initiates policies, procedures, and organizational structures necessary to achieve goals and objectives, and for planning, developing, and directing the complex scientific and administrative activities; finds ways to improve production and increase the quality of work.
- Manages all R&D's administrative and budgetary operations and for the supervision and evaluation of research service personnel either directly or through subordinate supervisors. Ensures that personnel and academic affiliates collaborate to develop funding proposals for future research and projects.
- Provides administrative supervision to a unit of scientific and administrative support staff; technical supervision of scientific staff will occur through their department supervisor. Provides advice, counsel, and instruction to employees on both work and administrative matters and adjusts approaches to suit different people and situations. Develop performance standards and evaluates work performance of subordinates. Assigns duties and responsibilities of employees to accomplish the work of R&D.
- Ensures R&D's compliance with research policies, including those issued by ORD and other Federal regulations governing the institution's Federal Wide Assurance (FWA).
- Advises Executive Leadership on inter-departmental collaboration opportunities and negotiates with management and academic affiliates to accept and implement recommendations.
- Serves as Executive Secretary of the R&D Committee, which oversees the function of the Institutional Review Board.
- Responsible for strategic oversight of all budgetary and fiscal aspects of the of the research program. Ensures all R&D's resources are properly appropriated and utilized, tracked, and reported. Prepares budgets, negotiations, and maintains and monitors contracts and other agreements for academic faculty and trainees, monitoring of funds disbursement, Fund Control Point balances, and reconciliations.
- Coordinates with Human Resources on recruitment and selection of subordinate staff including interviewing candidates for positions; recommending appointments, promotions, and reassignments to the Research Department's positions.
- Identifies and provides for training needs of subordinate staff and finds ways to improve production or increase the quality of work within the area of authority.
- Has served as a Primary or Principal Investigator with published work in peer-reviewed journals, books and abstracts, and presents his/her work annually by invitation nationally. This validates the relevance, importance and innovative character of the applicant's research.
- Responsible for estimating costs, developing budgets, and timelines, coordinating with principal investigators, staff and line management personnel in conducting all phases of the projects.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, Part-Time work schedule will be negotiated during interview proces
NOTE: This is a part-time position (25 hours/week). The salary listed represents full-time employment and will be pro-rated based on the actual number of hours worked each pay-period. Likewise, benefits and time-off accrual will also be prorated and based on your part-time work schedule.
Recruitment & Relocation Incentives: Not authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589696200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.